Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Note About the Green Smoothie

{image via Whole Living}

If you've been following my journey through this first week of Whole Living's Action Plan, you'll have noticed the Green Smoothie as a part of the detox. Initially, I saw the recipe for the smoothie in the magazine and thought it was...interesting.

I tend to not like vegetables in liquid form at all. I've never liked V8 or any other liquid veggie drink. The Green Smoothie made me really apprehensive, but I couldn't deny that it's loaded with nutrition. I made a leap of faith and bought enough ingredients to make it at least once. Who knew that I would actually like it?! The apple and banana outweigh the taste of the veggies, which makes me forget that I'm drinking kale.

However, I have two simple suggestions for those of who are as apprehensive as I was about trying the smoothie. One, add two tablespoons of agave nectar- it helps cover the taste of veggies. Two, make the smoothie before bed and chill overnight. The recipe doesn't require any frozen fruit/vegetables or ice, so the smoothie isn't instantly cold straight out of the blender. I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of room temperature smoothies. Chilling it overnight makes the smoothie that much better.

Viola! Enjoy your amazing Green Smoothie!

2 comments:

  1. I make veggie smoothies using this vegan powder that they sell at a natural foods store, and it's disgusting. My trick is to not use any ice, and to use Almond milk and agave nectar. Without the ice, it's more like juice, and it goes down easier. I've also been throwing some whey protein in there as well...again, it's disgusting, but it's strange. After a couple of days, you just really start to notice the benefits and so you get upset when you don't have your disgusting breakfast in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a vegan, I steer clear of whey, but a table spoon or two of flax seed in a smoothie is always a great idea! Plus it doesn't taste nearly as bad.

    ReplyDelete