Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day Two

DAY TWO of Whole Living's 28-Day Challenge
What I Ate?
Apple slices with almond butter
Strawberry smoothie (10 oz frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup apple juice, 1/2 cup hemp milk)
Celery and carrot slices with hummus
Steamed broccoli
Snacked on two handfuls of almonds

Detox Your Bod: Back Strengtheners and 10 Minutes of Walking
I loved the back strengthener exercises. The seated twist felt amazing! Once again, I got all my walking in while taking my pup out.

Detox Your Mind: Move your sleep time back by ten minutes each night, starting now
This one is complicated for me. I'm young, fresh outta college...I don't exactly have a bedtime. I go to bed sometime between 12pm-2am, sometimes 3am. This is something I've really been trying to work on, because it's easy for me to be healthy by cutting out certain foods, doing yoga, using organic beauty products, etc. Sleep however, has been a real struggle for me. I've decided my goal is to simply make it to bed before midnight this week.

I've been learning a few struggles of mine this week. One being that I cannot fall asleep without the TV on. I tried. I really did. The day before the challenge began I said to myself, Go to bed early. You need to be well rested in the morning and you'll get better sleep without the TV. Well, I struggled to fall asleep. I crashed for about an hour and then woke up at 2am, and failed to fall back asleep until around 4am when I gave in and turned to TV on.
What can I say? I have a TV with a sleep function so it'll automatically turn off after x amount of time and I've used it well. Soooooo about that whole cutting back on TV time thing, it's not applying to my sleep routine just yet.
But I'm trying.

Another struggle I'm having is well built up in my head, but the no soy thing is really hard on me. It was no problem for me to substitute almond or hemp milk in place of soy milk. However, not having tofu or tempah is strange. It's such a normal and routine thing for me to whip up a tofu scramble or eat soy based meat substitutes. Cutting it out for one week is completely do-able. I was looking at the dietary reintroduction list today however, and noticed that I can reintroduce wheat into my diet on day 8, but can't reintroduce soy until day 13.
And I instantly starting craving tofu.
So here's the deal, I can and will refrain from all soy products until day 13 with the exception of Earth Balance on my toast come day 6 when I bring wheat back in. And yes, I know they make a soy free version, but I just bought a brand new tub of the soy garden version.
Deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment