Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Homesick

New York, New York, how I miss you.

I miss your yellow taxis. Horns honking.

I miss your subway tracks. The sways, the rumbles, the variety of people coming and going.

I miss the park. Its fall leaves, its paths. The running track by the pond. The bridges.

I miss the businessmen scurrying around the Financial District, strapped to their cell phones and brief cases.

I miss the lights, the feel, the energy.

I miss the sky scrapers and how it feels to be up high. To look out over the city and think, this is home.

I miss 5th Avenue. Feeling like Miss Golightly as I stroll past Tiffany's. Breathing in the fashion. Burgdorf's. H&M. Saks.

I miss the Village. The way the sun looks when it sets behind those buildings. The little shops. The cappuccino and pancakes in the cafe who's name is lost on me.

I miss places I've never even been and things I have yet to see. SoHo. Babycakes NYC. Even though it's now closed, CBGB's. The vegan joints I read about in my dining guides. Tribecca.

I miss the Met and corner cafe I ate at with my best friend the day we went. That feeling for two seconds where I almost belonged on the Upper East Side.

I miss the Brooklyn Bridge. It is beautiful. It needs no more embellishment beyond that.

I miss the sensation of coming up from the subway tunnels. Finding yourself someplace else- some other magical part of the city.

I miss the smell. Honestly, you have to be in love to miss the smell.

I miss the sense of invincibility the city gives you. Any dream can come true in New York.

I miss being there. I miss feeling as though my heart were full. That is the city's gift to me. Love. A pure, full, passionate love. A love that has yet to be matched.

New York, I love you

(Yeah for my 100th post on Tea & Audrey!)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like such a magical place. But just think of all the other magical places that you have yet to go :)

    ReplyDelete