Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Open Letter to Single Men Everywhere

Dear Men,

No, I do not want to "hang out" with you.

I want you to ask me out on a date. An actual date.

I want to put on a dress and have a reason to curl my hair. I want you to actually pick me up and take me somewhere nice. I want you to have a plan, even if it is simply the traditional dinner and a movie set up. I would like for you to open the door for me. Pull out my chair for me. And hey, it would also earn you a few bonus points if you're dressed a little nicer than normal.

Hell, make me believe I can be Jo to your Mr. Avery for a night.

Please offer to pay and walk me to the door at the end of the night. Don't expect a kiss on the very first date. When I really like you, I move slowly.

Because here's the thing, I can "hang out" at home. If I felt like watching a bad movie in awkward silence while wondering if you're going to make the brave move to reach for my hand, I would. But I don't. After all, we're not fifteen anymore gentlemen.

So please, pretty please, don't ask me to hang out. After we're in a relationship, I'm all for it. But for now, man up.

Love,

The girl who is baffled by the lack of dating skills in our generation

1 comment:

  1. They're out thre - I promise. I'm 23, married, and a guy who did just that: asked my wife on a date, a real date, a so-clear-it-was-a-date it slightly freaked her out, because, well... guys don't do that. But they should, and some still do.

    ReplyDelete