Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Finding Inspiration

What you see above are images from magazines compiled on my bedroom floor.
Some are from Vogue, some from ELLE or Lucky.
The Assignment: Pick twenty photographs from magazines that you have an instant reaction to and rip them out.
(I refuse to rip up magazines, so I actually photocopied all of mine)
Assignment Number Two: Look through all the images collected and pick the one you find most inspiring and write a paragraph on why it makes you want to be a photographer.
While I could have easily written about every one of the picture I chose. This photo of Gisele Bundchen, taken by Patrick Demarchelier for the April 2010 issue of Vogue, is the one I wrote about:

This photo of Gisele Bundchen makes me want to capture every breathtaking moment around me. I couldn’t pinpoint one specific thing that draws me to it. It could be the beautiful color. Perhaps, that I instantly identify with doing yoga with my own dog nearby. It’s possible it is the simple fact that it came from Vogue and there’s nothing I love more than a good fashion magazine. All I can tell you is, when I flipped the page and saw this photo I said out loud, to nobody but my sleeping pooch, “I love this picture!” It is the kind of photograph I dream of taking. There is such a stillness, a quiet energy to the shot. I instantly want to feel what Gisele appears to be feeling when I look at it. That’s what I want to do- I want to make people feel. I want to take photographs that can make a person cry, make them want, make them deliriously happy, inspire them.
I love fashion photography, because it combines two art forms that I love. Sometimes I can’t decided what I want to focus on more, the beauty of the clothes or the beauty of the photograph. What I do know is, I want to be a apart of that magic that goes into a photograph like this. Whether working on a fashion shoot or simply working on a portrait or wedding, I hope someone connects to my work. I hope they see the magic. I hope they feel it.

1 comment: